To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I Feel the Love Christmas Card

Happy Wednesday, sweet friends! I hope your week is going fabulously. :o)

As many of you know, the I Feel the Love Project held by the marvelous Madison of Funky Cards has become important to me. Each month she selects a particular person, family, or organization in need of some extra love and blessings. In turn, we all make cards to spread a little sunshine to the highlighted recipient. What an incredible opportunity to serve others by the simple means of our heart and our hobby. This month (and into early December), Madison is collecting Christmas cards for the children at Pediatric Oncology Unit at Kaiser Hospital (and their families). With these sweet children spending Christmas in the hospital battling disease, the least we can do is surround them with heartfelt homemade cards. Not only so, but this collection is extra special because it is a tribute to a very special girl, Korrine Croghan, who served as an inspiration and a true hero to many. She still is today, three years after her passing at 14 years old. Her parents will be personally delivering our cards to the children.

This card began with the sentiment. Recently my boyfriend and I were talking and he told me that he loved me dearly. My Christmas-loving heart instantly countered with a 'dearly' pun...

"I love you reindeerly."
Ha! We were both so amused. I totally one-upped him with my reindeer love. I don't know where that came from in my heart, but it tickled me pink and I knew I would be creating a Christmas card surrounding it. What I didn't know at the time was that it would be for such a beautiful purpose. I filled this card with as much love and festive cheer as possible. I wanted it to be textural for little person fingers to explore. The pop-dotted Create a Critter reindeer and die-cut Santa are riding along a flurry of embossed snowflakes. I used gorgeous Peppermint Stick Trendy Twine for extra fun and added two coats of Glossy Accents to the Christmas lights for a shiny dimensional finish.

You might notice a good amount of sparkle here... I had to sparklify as much as possible, particularly for this occasion. All of the lights are covered in various shades of Stickles beneath the Glossy Accents. I have no sleigh since I have no Christmas Cricut cartridges (which is so very sad), so I printed and cut out a clip-art one and covered it in Christmas Red and Silver Stickles. The snowflake-embossed center, light strand, and sentiment are Core Couture paper for the pretty silvery flecks. (I wanted my light strand snow-covered instead of a stark green or black.) And of course sweet little Rudolph has a sparkly nose and scarf... and his eyes are twinkling with love, thanks to Stardust. The four hearts are covered with my Copic Spica clear glitter pen for a sparkle that's less in-your-face.

Ready for the sappiness? You knew it was coming, especially since this is for I Feel the Love. The strand of snowy Christmas lights is anchored by three shimmery hearts because despite the fierce circumstances, they are secure in love. Just like those sweet kids who will be receiving our cards. Let's engulf them as a reminder. That's why Santa is holding a heart instead of a present in his right hand. He is delivering an abundance of love via this teeny tiny card. As previously mentioned, Santa and Rudolph are pop-dotted... it makes me feel 3 millimeters closer to the child. And there is a reason I have Christmas lights randomly hanging in the sky. I had to include them not only because everyone loves Christmas lights, but also due to my sentiment. Being told you're loved makes a heart sparkle brighter the tallest, chubbiest Christmas tree. I don't technically know the one who will receive this card... but I love them. I love them dearly. I love them reindeerly.

Challenge entered:
 * My Creative Time Throwback Thursday~ Kid Friendly cartridge for any KID friendly card or project! :o)

Thank you for twirling on by! You make me sparkly. Have a beautiful day, my friends. :o)

Key Recipe Components:
 * Cricut cartridge: Create a Critter
 * Cuttlebug embossing folder: Snowflakes from Winter Wonderland pack
 * Paper: Basic Grey, Core'dinations, DCWV
 * Sentiment: Computer generated from my sparkly heart
 * Twine: Peppermint Stick Trendy Twine
 * Santa die-cut: stash
 * Miscellaneous: Copic Spica glitter pen, Glossy Accents, Stickles

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. It is so sweet and gorgeous Love the background too . Such fun images
    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Karen. Both the card and your heart are SO beautiful. One very blessed child is going to open up this card and LOVE is just going to spring out and hug him/her. What an amazing Christmas gift you've given. :)

    Know what else you've done? You've combined Christmas and puns - two of my favorite things! I will admit that I laughed out loud when I read your sentiment. :D You and your boyfriend share my sense of humour. I like that. ;)

    I love all the SPARKLES (but then, I expect nothing less than sparkly wonder from you). Did you know that your lights look like jewels? Glittering Christmas treasures that Love is sending down to earth. Kind of reminds me of a story about Love sending His Treasure to earth many, many years ago. So much so that I got a little teary when I saw the card. :)

    Marvelous work as always, my friend. :)

    Hugs, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card! I love the little hearts holding up the lights! All the glitter makes the card so bright and cheery! Such a cute sentiment you thought of too!! Love everything about this card! It is going to brighten the day of the child and child's family who receive it! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, It's brilliant!! I can't believe how it sparkles...like Nita said your lights look like christmas jewels. So clever with the sleigh! Most of all its beautiful meaning! You are a true treasure Karen. Beautifully crafted my friend! Enjoy your day!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! Love the sentiment...too cute! Thanks for joining us in the MCT ~ Throwback Thursday Challenge :)

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your card is just so beautiful:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  7. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

    *rubs at eyes cause I can't even see to type cause I am crying so much right now*

    OMJJJJJJ!!! SUNSHINE!!! It's MAGNIFICENT!!!

    *dabs at eyes again* TEE HEE!

    OMJ! I honestly am not sure which means more sis...the actual gorgeous cardness you have so beautifully crafted for one extra special wee one's heart, or your most gorgeous words that sparkle just as brightly as the card itself. *hugglers you silly*

    My Sweetest Sis...this card is honestly the most precious gift any little one could ever receieve. When you told us how you made those parts so you could be a few millimeters closer to the sweet little one, my heart poofered completely. You are one in a thousand trillion my most precious sis. I already know that God has chosen an extra, extra special little one to be the recipient of your gift. Without question, He will guide it into the hands of a child who needs an extra special sparking ray of sunshine in his/her life. This will be a Christmas gift they will never, ever forget sis. To them, you are their Christmas hero.

    *hugglers you more than ever*

    This looks like it was the most fun card ever to make. Did you have oodles of fun with it sis? I just wanna huggler it forever. I have never seen a cuter little reindeer in my life. Isn't he just the most adorable little thing?!?! *asks Santa if I could please have him under my tree for Christmas morning* TEE HEE!

    I LOVE YOU SOOOOOO REINDEERLY SUNSHINE!!!
    God bless you for making a wonderful child's most extra special Christmas wishes come true. Your love means more to them than you will ever possibly know...

    *forever monsterous sparkling Christmas love*
    ~~~Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always so touched when I come by to visit you... you are so sweet and generous. I know that child that receives this is going to love it...love all the details and love you have put into making this.. hugs from ukiah

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazing person! You thought of everything and what you wrote was beautiful! Simply a blessing to have you be a part of this project. Thank you so much. This is just wonderful. I can't wait to see it in person. Thank you just doesn't even seem to cover it.
    ~Madison funkycards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, has always everytime I enter your blog I leave with a inspiration and motivation to create something else. Totattly love all the glitter! I'm sure you will touch many cute lil children's heart with this card! It has so much love in it!
    Until next time...


    Catarina aka docerela

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute and fun card Karen! The reindeer is just adorable. I LOVE the lights....they are so glittery, shiny and just pop:) AMAZING card!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen such love and thought always goes into your work and this is no exception.Love the lights and the cute reindeer.Would be happy to send you some christmas diecuts,drop me an email.
    Hugs
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your meaning behind this card for those special children is amazing! The sweet child who receives this card will just love it! The reindeer and Santa are absolutely adorable and I love that Santa is holding a heart for those children, to give them hope in fighting for their lives. I love the twine rope Santa is holding too. Excellent work my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Karen, this is just amazing!! The thought and love you put into making this is just incredible! I love how you mixed die cuts and digis and copics and sparkle to make one fabulous Christmas card! And the sentiment is so awesome!! It makes me laugh!! Everything about this is simply stunning, most of all your incredible heart! You are special my friend!! Big hugs!!

    Lisa
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips