To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Winter Fun: Whimsical Wednesday Challenge! (And blog candy winner!)

Happy Wednesday, my beloved crafty friends! Are you feeling whimsical? I sure am!

This week's Whimsical Wednesday challenge is Winter Fun! Create any Christmas/Winter-themed project and include something sparkly on it. This can be by adding Stickles, Glimmer Mist, glitter, etc... or you can include a pre-made glittery embellishment. Surely you know my heart happy danced instantly. Required to use sparkle?! I'm on it! :o)

The sparkle-fest I created has a very special destination. As most of you know, I am passionate about the I Feel the Love Project created by the inspiring and talented Madison of Funky Cards. Every month she selects a particular person, family, or organization in need of any extra dose of love. In turn, we all have the privilege of creating cards to send sunshine to that recipient. To read a little more about the current collection, you can read my first Christmas "I Feel the Love" card. To read a lot more, visit the wonderful Madison.

Soon to be received by a wonderful child spending Christmas at the the Pediatric Oncology Unit at Kaiser Hospital... my very first spinner card!
I've lost track of all the laps I've given this sweet penguin! The fabulous Whimsical Designs sentiment from the "Snow Much Fun" set inspired the interactive element. (Oh how I love and adore these stamps!) As I was pondering how to make an extra special card, it dawned on me... surely a sick child would smile at a penguin rockin' around a Christmas tree! :o) That is always my goal, especially for Madison's IFTL... I just want to make these kids smile and feel my sparkling love. Keeping with the challenge theme (and my nature), I essentially sparkled everything I could. ;) I used Core Couture sparkling cardstock for the penguin, Christmas tree, and spinner track. Then I Stickled the lights in three shades. I used sparkly DCWV for the giraffe, who is wearing shades because of the super-bright festivity. I was going to add rhinestones or other fun embellishments to the sides, but decided it would be best to keep the sides open in case a super dooper little one receives this card. I'd feel terrible if tiny eager hands tore something off accidentally in their excitement to spin him like mad. So instead, I simply centered the snowflakes with dollops of Christmas Red Stickles and Studio G iridescent glitter glue.

That sweet penguin face... those of you who have been friends of mine for a while are expecting me to say I drew it. But guess what? I no longer need to draw my Peachy Keen faces! My sweet bloggy friend Nita surprised me with a fabulous birthday gift last month. I own Peachy Keen stamps! I am still in shock. (You are amazing, Nita.)

I topped the Christmas tree with a sparkling heart because it is filled with Christmas love. :o) I was worried about adding bulk near the penguin and disturbing the spinning action, but didn't want to leave it bare beneath the tree... so I flipped through my papers and was thrilled to find a little cluster of presents to carve out and adhere to my card. It's super metallic, which is fun in person. 

I loved the sentiment anyway, but I adore it even more for inspiring this special card. I used masking to make the sentiment three lines instead of two so it would fit in this Spellbinders Nestabiliity. I sponged around it in green for a little more festive fun. And there's one other little surprise to this card...

Once he or she stops spinning and opens it up, they will find a teeny tiny present. My sweet bloggy friend Jayne sent me some Christmassy goodies to use for my cards, including this special charm. (You are fabulous, Jayne.) I was originally going to use it tucked with a big ribbon bow or something on a future card. Instead, I slipped it onto some Peppermint Stick Trendy Twine for this child to use as a little decoration in their hospital room. I hope and pray this card delivers a heap of Christmas joy.
Tutorial used (and I WILL get the Stampin' Up punch they used for the track... the frustration saved will be priceless!): Thinking Inking Spinner Card Tutorial.

I hope you'll play along with us this week by linking up your sparkly Christmas or Winter project to the Whimsical Wednesday challenge post! I always look forward to seeing your creations. There is so much talent in this crafty blogging community. :o) Also, we have two wonderful sponsors this week: 

 * Our very own Nanne is generously donating a prize pack of beautiful Webster Pages scrapping supplies. Thank you, Nanne! :o) 
 * Our very own Cindy is generously donating three of her wonderful digital stamps! They are such fun to create with. Thank you, Cindy! :o)

Be sure to spin on over to the rest of the Whimsical Designers' blogs to see their fantastic creations for this sparkly challenge! 

One more thing... it's time to announce my personal BLOG CANDY WINNER from the blog hop! :o) Thank you all very much for celebrating with us during the stamp release festivities. The random winner of Stephanie's marvelous "With Love" stamp set is:

Karen of Crafted With Love by Karen! Congratulations!!! :o) Contact me at the address listed under the Contact Me tab to claim your prize and send me your address! I am ecstatic to share these stamps with you. :o)

Thank you for fluttering on by today, friends! I hope you have a gorgeous day. :o)

Key Recipe Components:
 * Cricut cartridge: Create a Critter
 * Spellbinders Nestabilities: Labels Four
 * Stamps: Sentiment~ Whimsical Designs (Snow Much Fun); Peachy Keen Critter Faces (Medium)
 * Paper: Core'dinations, DCWV, K and Company (presents), SEI
 * Miscellaneous: Stickles

Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Oh Karen... whoever gets this is going to be screaming with delight. I love it, and the heart on top for all the love u put into it.. You are truly amazing. You are a blessing and inspiration to everyone around you and I am so blessed to have have gotten to know you. Thank you again for your sweet prayers my friend.. (I hope you don't mind that I pinned this on Pinterest, I will take if off if you don't want it pinned).. I hope you have a wonderful day- but I somehow know you will...
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won?!?! I'm SO excited! Thank you! I'll e-mail you my info now! Your spinner card is absolutely adorable! Whoever receives it is going to treasure it! I love the giraffe peeking out from behind the tree and the Santa charm! The heart on top of the tree is perfect! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your spinner card, Karen! Yet another technique I need to try. How cool that one sentiment can inspire such a great card. And the sparkle is, well......quite sparkly! LOL! I like the way the core couture paper adds extra sparkle along with it's sidekick Stickles. Your card is certain to bring delight to the child that receives it. Such a beautiful gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Your card is just so beautiful and congratulations to the winner:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be sick of me saying this, but I think I have a new favorite card... again hehe. But how can I resist that adorable penguino face?! And the fact that he spins?! Too much amazingness to withstand I'm afraid. I love the punny use of "rocking around the Christmas tree" as your sentiment, too. That's my witty Sweets! The charm is a wonderful touch. I wish I could be there when a lucky kiddo opens this fantastic card. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable spinner card! Yoour cards are always filled with so much inspiration! I love all the little details and the sentiment is AWESOME!! TFS!

    You will definitly lift someone spirits up when they get this sweet card-love the charm!

    Congrats to your winner!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen this is SOOOOO CUTEEEE! I just LOVE that penguin with all his sparkles and he's a spinner too! That's the icing on the cake. The tree is wonderful and all the cute lights on it. The giraffe in the back makes me smile, that unexpected but oh so cute addition! Wonderful card and such a wonderful person you are. I am sure all of them look forward to seeing your creations and their hearts are filled with joy.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Karen! This is amazing:) I love this card. I have wanted to make a spinner card but I haven't yet. This just ROCKS!! Now I am inspired. So many cute details. You will make one child so happy!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your support.
    ~Madison

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karen I am smiling from ear to ear over your beautiful card. The fact that this is going to a sick child is even more heart warming. All your sparkly elements are gorgeous. That spinning penguin is sure to bring fun, and entertainment to the little one. Great touch by adding the shades to the giraffe..lol. I am blushing knowing that my sentiment was the inspiration for this card. Simply fabulous Karen! Oh and love the little charm inside..it will be a sweet surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *borrows Mr. Giraffe’s happy sunglasses to wear when the precious little one opens this card for the first time because his/her smile is going to be so huge and sparkling that it will be blinding* SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! OMJ! SIS!!! I AM IN LOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!

    I haven’t stopped daydreaming about this card since you gave me my very first sneak peek, Sunshine. I love it like you will never possibly know. I get goosebumps thinking about the joy in the little one’s heart the second he/she makes it spin for the very first time. Your love is going to spin right through and into their heart, do you know that sis? *hugglers you silly*

    Only a talent that has been heaven blessed would think of such a magical creation as this. You are incredible Sunshine and this precious gift is one that will keep on giving for a lifetime. The memories and love that this card will create will stay with that little one forever. Even more special than the precious penguin himself is the fact that he/she will know that someone adores them something crazy and is cheering them on as they work to heal in God’s love. And that my sweetest sis, is the most sparkling example of the true reason of the season.

    *plays with your card all day long* SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I want one just like this but with a twirling pumpkin, ok? Can you make me one? TEE HEE HEE!

    God bless my sweetest Sunshine and her most gorgeous giving heart. She is about to make one little tyke a very, very, very, very, very happy kiddo.

    *rocks with you and Mr. Giraffe and Penguin and all your happy crafting friends to Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree* WHEEE! Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to the lucky winner of the blog candy!!! And a huge thank you to our beloved Karen to making that possible for this extra special Whimsical Wednesday!

    Super happy happy twirling hugglers for my forever Sunshine! I love you sis!!!
    ~~~ Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen,AWESOME job with this fun card!I TOTALLY LOVE that spinning penguin,SO COOL!Great idea,Have a great day my friend!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just the cutest card, Karen!! A challenge to use sparkle is perfect for you my sweet and sparkly friend!! I love this penguin and that he is a spinner is just fabulous! And how clever and adorable to have the giraffe peeking from behind the tree!! And what an awesome idea to include a gift charm - you are so amazing!!

    And congrats Karen for winning the stamps!!

    Hugs, Lisa :)
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. AAACK! How FABULOUS and FUN! I love that spinning penguin! Oh my goodness, if I had that in my house I'd play with it all day long. Hee hee! The child who receives this card (and the CHARM! What a great idea - you're just so SMART and SWEET!) is going to have a smile that lights up the room (good thing that giraffe is wearing sunglasses!).

    Big Christmas Hugs,
    Nita

    P.S. I love that you love your Peachy Keen Stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, I wish I could see the face of the little one that receives this card! You are a true gem my friend! This card is absolutely spectacular. I love the "peeking" giraffe and that charm is gorgeous!! Such a well done job, I just love it!
    Enjoy your day my friend :)
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this cute sparkly spinner card.Adore the giraffe peeping out from behind the tree and a fabulous idea for the charm.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a fast stop to say Hi!! Beautiful card, you are my inspiration! The little Santa charm will be a big hit! That was a very special touch. I hope your holiday season is going well my sweet, sweet friend.

    My energy is dwindling so I need to rest,
    Hugs, Pam
    http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my this is too cute and fun! isnt it funny how the spinnier cards bring out the kid in us :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello my sweet friend, I am finally catching up a bit! I have missed your blog!
    I love this sweet little penguin and how he spins around to "rock around the Christmas tree!" The sparkly tree and little giraffe peeking around the tree is adorable. So creative my sweet sparkly friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips