To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sweet Saturday: Key Lime Pie Squares

Happy Saturday, my sweet friends! I hope you're having a lovely weekend! :o)

While I may not have a tropical vacation planned for the summer, this sweet treat certainly whisked us away to a confectionery paradise. Key Lime Pie is a beloved dessert, but sometimes bars are the way to go. The perfect alternative? This fantastic summery delight!

Key Lime Pie Squares!
This recipe did not stay bookmarked for long. Only a few days went by before I whipped these up for my family and they were a HIT. The filling is a flawless combination of sweet, tart, and creamy... everything a Key Lime dessert should be. Rather than a typical graham cracker crust, these beauties are made with a gingersnap crust. I melted a little, being the ginger lover that I am. I decided to crush Anna's Ginger Thins to make my crust and it was an excellent choice. The bit of spicy warmth from the gingersnap crust pairs so well with the bright Key Lime filling. I used just over a box to make the required 2 cups of crumbs.

Speaking of the filling! Another atypical component to this recipe is the addition of a tiny bit of cream cheese, which isn't often used in the pie. The recipe creator is truly brilliant. Just enough is used to make these delightfully creamy with a bit of tang. I was fortunate to have Key Limes available to me, so I used fresh juice for the filling. If you cannot find any locally, I suggest using the highly-regarded Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice. You can't miss the bright and chipper bottle.

The only change I'll make next time (and there WILL be a next time) is to add a dollop of freshly whipped cream. :o) I was too rushed this go around, but thankfully no one seemed to mind. ;) Give yourself a piece of paradise and bake this incredibly simple, flavor-packed dessert.

Have a sweet weekend! :o)

Key Lime Pie Squares
Yield: 16 squares

Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 cups finely crushed crunchy gingersnap cookies (or graham crackers)
3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted (or if using unsalted, just add in a couple pinches of salt)

For the filling:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
4 large egg yolks
14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (not fat free)
½ cup key lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest (approximately 1 lime)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x9 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides, and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the crust: Pulverize the crunchy gingersnap cookies into a fine crumb with a food processor. (If you're like me and don't have a food processor, simply put the cookies in a Ziploc baggie and crush with a rolling pin.) Pour into a medium sized bowl and mix with the melted butter. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes as you make the filling.

Make the filling: In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese on high speed until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, scraping down the sides as needed. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest until combined. Pour into the warm crust.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges of the bars begin to brown. Allow the bars to cool at room temperature in the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, place in the refrigerator to chill completely, at least 2 hours.

Once chilled, lift the bars out of the pan using the aluminum foil overhang. Cut into squares. Store squares in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 1 week.

Source: Sally's Baking Addiction

8 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I am one for trying everyone else's dessert, but not making too many of my own. Since it is summer though I am going to give it a try!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this looks scrumptious Karen~ I have never made it but it looks quite easy to put together...Will have to give it a try..
    TFS - love those Sweet Saturday's of yours!
    Enjoy your wonderful weekend my friend....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!! I'm sitting on my deck right now and I'd love to have a piece of this to nibble on!! Yummo - they look and sound delicious!! The gingersnap crust is so creative and I bet just so tasty!! Thank you for another fabulous Sweet Saturday my sweetest friend!! I hope you are enjoying the weekend!! Hugest hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Karen it looks so yummy! Wow, I sure wish I could whip up things like this:)
    Thank you for Sweet Saturdays my SWEET friend!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely idea you have Karen and l look forward to your recipies and this is another of them l'm tasting this in my mouth thank you for sharing it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so YUMMY!!! Yes, we do love our SWEETS!!
    So refreshing!!Love the idea on using gingersnap cookies for the crust. Awesome!! One of my favorite ingredients.
    I prefer bars so that I can share but a entire pie I would have to think about it..LOL!
    Than you for sharing another YUMMY recipe and now I am in the mood for a TREAT!! Love it!
    Sending my love, hugs and smiles to you my angelic friend,
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! This looks and sounds so yummy! I may have to give this a try over the 4th. I have some company coming for a few days and I am sure it would be a hit:) Thanks my friend for the yummy recipe!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear... I'm drooling at the thought of these and there is nothing I can do to taste the photo on the screen!! I love that you changed the base to a ginger one. (I'm not big on graham myself.) What a clever idea!! And to have cream cheese in the mix... Heavenly!! It's no wonder these were a hit with your family!!

    Thank so much for your sweet words on my blog - and more importantly, for your understanding. I love to give back but there are times when priorities at home prevent me from paying visits to my wonderful friends in blogland. Thanks for being here, just as sparkly as ever, for my return. You truly are a joy in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips