To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Let's Get Sketchy: Whimsical Wednesday Challenge!

Happy Wednesday, my talented friends! Did you know that you make me smile? It's true! :o)

This week's Whimsical Wednesday challenge is a sketch challenge! Join us this week by creating a card inspired by this wonderful sketch, created by our very own Nanne:
Our wonderful sponsor this week is Stamp Fairy. When scrolling through her adorable images, I instantly gravitated to the cupcakes. Hardly shocking, I know. Inspired by Nanne's sketch and this precious digi (Lenny Cupcakes 3), I made a whimsical birthday card... complete with a cupcake snowman.

"Let's Celebrate"
What better way to celebrate than with cupcakes? These sweet little teddies used the extra frosting to whip up a snowman. The snowman's trim is sponged with DewDrop Brilliance ink because the silly bears tinted the swirling 'frosting' to be an icy blue. For the scarf I used my new light blue shiny ribbon with white polka dots to resemble snow flurries. His arms are heart stick pins, wrapped in Chocolate Truffle Trendy Twine to mimic twigs. He's just bursting with birthday love from his heart mittens to his heart buttons.. and of course a super sparkly cherry hat. His wrapper is scored to make it look like an actual cupcake wrapper.

The teddies' background and the cupcake wrapper are from the same paper, with pretty sheet music and snowflakes dancing in honor of a winter birthday (and a snowy Happy Birthday song). The tie and cupcake wrapper in the digi are shades of light blue, which may be washed out in this photograph. The frosting is coated in Stardust and the candle flame in Gold Stickles. A smattering of sparkles encircle the happy teddies to enhance their winter celebration.

I made the snowflakes three layers, topped with a sparkle, with each layer pop-dotted for dimension. I sewed around the embossed pearlescent paper and added a couple dollops of SnowTex to the corners for additional textural elements. The fabulous Whimsical Designs sentiment is from Stephanie's Everyday Sentiments stamp set. Isn't it wonderful? :o)

I hope you'll join us this week by creating a card inspired by Nanne's marvelous sketch and linking it up to the Whimsical Wednesday challenge post. I look forward to seeing your interpretations! For one lucky winner, the Stamp Fairy is generously donating a gift certificate for $10.00 worth of digis from her shop. Thank you!
Be sure to frolic on over to the rest of the Whimsical Designers' blogs to see their marvelous creations. :o) Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a whimsical day! :o)

Key Recipe Components:
 * Cricut cartridges: Elegant Edges, Gypsy Wanderings
 * Cuttlebug embossing folders: D'vine swirls, Snowflakes from Winter Wonderland pack
 * Spellbinders Nestabilities: Picot Edge Circles
 * Digi image stamp: Stamp Fairy~ Lenny Cupcakes 3
 * Paper: Core'dinations, DCWV, K and Company
 * Heart stick pins: Little Yellow Bicycle
 * Ribbon: American Crafts
 * Twine: Trendy Twine (Chocolate Truffle)
 * Miscellaneous: Heart Rhinestones (Recollections); iRock; SnowTex; Stickles

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Karen it's absolutely "PERFECT"... i love the musical paper behind the little bear and the snowflakes are just simply beautiful... you are such an inspiration my friend... i pray you have a "wonderful" day my friend... hugs from ukiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Your card is beautiful, adorable and sweet! I always love how your cards tell a cute little story. I adore the color scheme, the pops of red are perfect! Amazing as always my friend!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh m'gosh, Karen! I love everything you make! This card is no exception. Just beautiful. Love the pop of dark blue against the white and soft blue. Your attention to detail is always impeccable! And how creative is that snowman cupcake...with a cherry on top no less! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaw, love your darling card Karen! It is filled with such sweetness!! The image is super cute and the coloring is fantastic as always. I love the embossing and that snowman...too cute! Your details are awesome...cute stick pins for the arms, love it!!
    Great job as always my friend:)
    I hope I can find a little time to play in the challenge-super busy week...eeek! Have a wonderful day!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! I love the all the details you gave the snowman with the cherry hat, the stick pin arms (so cute!), and the heart buttons! I really like the shape of the background that the cute bears are on too! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh This is so beautiful and the sketch is lovely too!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is beautiful Karen! Wonderful job with your coloring! So much shading on those cuties. Your snow man is adorable and I love the little story of how he came to be, LOL, gotta love his cherry on top. Great job with the sketch. Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHH! This is so pretty! I love that cute bear couple and your snowman cupcake is fabulous! The layered snowflakes are gorgeous and the snow layers on the bottom is such a great touch! Super cute Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Karen,GORGEOUS job!Great embossing and LOVE the sweet image,TOO CUTE!Have a nice day my friend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, Karen, how absolutely adorable is this??!! I enjoy reading the story behind each masterpiece you create almost as much as looking at the final product of your amazing creativity!! How cute that the sweet Teddies whipped up the snowman from left over frosting (so creative!!) The heart mittens are so awesome...everything about this is fabulous!! You are a card-making rock star my friend!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

    Hugs, Lisa :)
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! *does super happy cuppiecake snowman dance with my Sunshine*

    AHHH!!! Your cardness looks SO gorgeous sis!!! *stares at adorableness forever* Did you know that this card gets cuter by the second? It's true! Stare at it and it continues to grow more and more adorable before your very eyes! TEE HEE HEE!

    Only our precious Karen whose heart is sweeter than sweet would think of making a cuppiecake snowman. Honestly sis, you are genius. *squishers your beyond creative little self to bits and pieces* OMJ! I am in total absolute and complete LOVE with this sis. Can I hug it forever? *begs*

    *squishies the 3D snowflakies forever because I love them beyond love* How did you make them sis?!?!?! Will you teach me? They are GORGEOUS!!! *drools*

    Sweetest of cuppiecake hugglers for God's little sunshine delivery girl (that would be YOU Sunshine because you deliver endless sunshine to all our lives with your kindness and sparkling heart)!

    P.S. I need that cherry hat. *dreams of owning one just like it* *is super jealous of Mr. Snowman* TEE HEE HEE!

    *forever squishies*
    ~~~Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic card karen. i adore your snowman i love the stick pen for arms idea and the cherry hat is so sweet! so creative. the digi image is really cute and you did a super job with nannes sketch. you rocked this weeks challenge:) have a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen this is soooo cute!! And making a snowman out of icing, great idea!! You are just so creative, and I love the story of each creation so much too. You are awesome at coloring, you amaze me.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this from the embossing down the color combination! It actually looks really cold! :)
    Amy
    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooh, so pretty! I love blue, and this has SPARKLES and blue, so I love it even more. :)

    Know what? You have used snow in a form that makes me actually LIKE it - in cupcake form! Oh YUM! If only all the white stuff that's falling here right now was made of icing and cake...gosh, winter would be my favorite time of year! hee hee!

    Gorgeous creation, as always, my friend. :)

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how adorable Karen! I love the sweet bears and how perfect one is holding a cupcake. And they made a sweet little snowman out of the frosting! Your coloring is perfect and I love the embossing folder and snowflakes you used. Excellent work my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so gorgeous Karen.I LOVE your frosted snowman and his heart pin twigs and how you tell such a great story behind the card.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips