To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Love Struck and Sweet Saturday!

Happy Saturday, my sweet friends! I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. :o)

I have a couple of treats to share today! Firstly, I was able to squeeze in a card for a few challenges I was determined to play in this week. Love is naturally the theme with Valentine's Day around the corner, so I chose to use one of my favorite stamps. It showcases the sweet side of love... and I'm pretty sure many of us can relate. ;)

"Love Struck"
This sweetheart from The Paper Shelter is titled Fairy of the Cookies and I am enamored with her. I instantly reached for my last sheet of this Kaisercraft paper because I thought the stars, flourishes, and dots worked well with a fairy theme. I colored her with Copics but had a doozy of a time with that huge cookie jar! I need practice. I used blue-violets and blue-greens for her clothing, plus an essential layer of Star Dust for her wings. The 'i' on the jar is dotted with a heart rhinestone because cookies make our hearts sparkle. The Elegant Edges background is pop-dotted and trimmed with tiny rhinestones to envelop her in a sweet and sparkly cookie-loving world.

I used sheer glitter ribbon for a path of sparkles, cinching it with a pearlescent heart slider/buckle. I Star Dusted the tips of the Wild Orchid Crafts flowers and inked all of the paper edges with Dew Drop Brilliance Lavender ink for extra touches of shimmer. The paper beneath the lace heart border is tiny dots, which looks cute in person but did not photograph well. (It was one of those mornings.) This card is drastically different from the magical version I originally planned, but a narrow time frame changed things. Our cookie fairy still has a nice little background to frolic in. :o) It's a fun way to declare love, even if the recipient might question if I truly love cookies or him. ;)

The Whimsical Designs sentiment was perfect for this card. She not only loves cookies, but she is completely love struck. It is from the With Love stamp set and completed the theme wonderfully.

Challenges entered:
 * Fantabulous Cricut~ Love Is In the Air (Include a heart)
 * Getting Cricky~ Fantasy Land
 * Wild Orchid Crafts Challenge~ Love Is

And now, at long last, Sweet Saturday! I am ecstatic to have returned to the kitchen after nearly three months away from baking. A few days ago I shared a fancy cupcake box I made while playing Cupcake Fairy for a loved ones' birthday. You know what goes nice with cupcakes? Cookies. Although everyone loves the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough cupcakes, sometimes you need Oreos. Oreo Cupcakes with Oreo Whipped Cream Frosting, to be exact!
(And yes... my cupcake box cut at the recommended size was bigger than I had hoped! Lesson learned.)

These were a hit! The fluffy vanilla cake is packed with coarsely chopped Oreos, with some of them having a surprise half-Oreo at the bottom. The whipped cream frosting is infused with crushed Oreos, bringing additional chocolatey goodness to the confection. So basically, it's Oreo heaven. My family loved them, my boyfriend's coworkers loved them, and these will certainly be made again. :o)

Note: Including the half-Oreo at the bottom of the cupcake is certainly adaptable. My boyfriend (and everyone else) loved it. I personally preferred it without, only because I don't like crunchy bottoms on my cupcakes. I simply gave away the bottom part, which a certain someone didn't mind. ;)

Note 2: This frosting would make a heavenly filling, too!

Thank you for visiting me today! You make me sparkle brighter than a Christmas tree. :o) Have a lovely day, my friends! I wish I could give you a cupcake.
***

Oreo Cupcakes with Oreo Whipped Cream Frosting
Yield: 24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1⅔ cups sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

For the frosting:
1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons Oreo cookie crumbes
24 Oreo cookie halves (to garnish, if desired)

Directions:
To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.

Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.

Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To prepare the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs with a spatula.

Use a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with Oreo halves, if desired. (Garnish immediately before serving to avoid the Oreos softening.) Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. Allow to sit at room temperature for approximately an hour prior to serving to remove the chill from the cakes.

Source: Cupcakes: Annie's Eats; Frosting: Annie's Eats
***

Key Recipe Components (for card):
 * Cricut cartridge: Elegant Edges
 * Sentiment stamp: Whimsical Designs~ With Love
 * Image stamp: The Paper Shelter; colored with Copics
 * Paper: DCWV, Kaisercraft
 * Flowers and ribbon slider: Wild Orchid Crafts
 * Border punch: Martha Stewart Lace Heart Edge Punch
 * Ribbon: Casa Collection Special Occasion (JoAnns)
 * Miscellaenous: Dew Drop Brilliance Ink, Heart rhinestone (Recollections); iRock; Stickles


Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Oh I wish u could give me a cup cake too, I can almost taste one... They look simply too yummy. AND no you don't need any practice with your coloring, you are amazing- that cookie jar is beautiful. I love the little heart for the "I" you are always so creative with all the details in your cards... I hope you have a "sparkly" day... Hugs from Ukiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to pop back over and say, I am truly blessed to be one of your friends... AND I so appreciate your prayers... Sometimes we just need a little extra prayer...thank you Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those cakes look delicious and l'll be taking down that recipe, also your card is stunning:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cookie fairy! She is adorable! That is such a cute sentiment to go with this card too. Your oreo cupcakes look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this looks yummy! love that fairy card very pretty indeed.... TFS on that recipe I will have to give this a try.... I sure have a sweet tooth love to indulge in chocolates of every kind.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hello there sweet little cookie fairy! You wouldn't mind if I took a little peek at what's inside your treasured jar of yummy cookies, would you? *peekers head inside* AHHHHHH!!! It's filled with oreo goodness!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! *devours* Thanks cookie fairy! You so made my day. *wipes away cookie crumbs from my cheeks* TEE HEE HEE!

    OMJ! Happy Sweet Saturday everyone!!! I had goosebumps all week waiting for today because I knew how much it meant to my Sunshine and how long she has waited to return to her blessed baking adventures. Um sis...do you know that this is my mostest fav treat you have ever posted? I just can't help it, Sunshine. You know me and oreos. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! *bounces like Tigger cause I am on a sugar high just looking at the heavenly frosting* I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!! *hugglers you silly for picking oreos to be the treat of the week* Do you know how happy you made us all today, Sunshine? *gives you non-stop oreo cupcake huggles to show you just how much*

    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEENESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Your precious cookie fairy is GORGEOUS Sunshine!!!!!!!! GASP! Just look at her!!! OMJ! You coloured her SO beautifully. I can't stop staring at how gorgeous these colours are that you picked, sis. And OMJ! Look at the flowers! They were destined to be matched with this card...and the stunning ribbon and heart slider...gosh sis. I am in total and complete love. Just like your precious little cookie fairy and her total adoration for her edible treasures. *hugglers her forever* Did you have oodles of fun making her sis?

    Did you know that you are our magical fairy too, Sunshine? It's true! Every week you flutter over and leave us all super sparkling love-packed presents that are beyond magical. I think I speak for everyone when I say that your blog means as much to us as that adorable jar of cookie happiness means to our precious fairy friend. One taste of your creative passion and we are all captivated for life. WHEEE!!!

    BEST SWEET SATURDAY EVER!!!!!!!!! *twirls you*

    *snacks on oreo cupcakes with you all day long*

    I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE!!! (with my entire oreoish heart and beyond) Tee hee!!!!!

    Forever oreo squishies for the sparkling oreo of all our hearts...
    ~~~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooooohhhhh!!!!! I don't know what to comment on first!!!! The card? The cupcakes? The icing? AAAAAAHHH! So much goodness! I'm SO happy!!!!!!

    Know what Kevin said when I told him what your Sweet Saturday treat was? "OH! Sweet Saturday!!! When are you making that?" :) He has missed it as much as me, my friend! And OREOS?? In the batter AND in the frosting? Oh my! You know how to return with an explosion, don't you? :)

    And this gorgeous cookie fairy? I totally see what you were so excited about!!! And know what? You've showcased her BEAUTIFULLY!!! I love the paper, and the ribbon, and the heart buckle, and the sparkle, and the "i" DOTTED WITH A HEART...oh gosh, my friend, I love the whole darn thing!! It's PERFECT. :) :) :)

    *relaxed sigh* Do you know how smiley I am after this? Sweet Saturday, and a new card - you just completed my whole weekend. You're so fabulous. :)

    Big, happy hugs,

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty card!! Those cupcakes look and sound so yummy!! Thanks for joining us for the Simply Sunday Challege!!
    Kristan
    Getting Cricky Jr. DTM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable card! I love that little fairy shes to cute! And I agree those cupcakes look very yummy! TYFS :)

    Amanda
    Getting Cricky JrDt
    cricktncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fairy. I have been eyeing her up myself. Great job!
    Thanks for joining us in the Getting Cricky Simply Sunday Challenge.

    Jessie
    Getting Cricky Jr DTM

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all...I'm sorry I'm late in commenting!! I have been trying to get a bunch of projects done for this month and it has seriously cut into my visiting time!! Oh my gosh, Karen, I love this stunning card!! The cookie fairy is so sweet!! Wow, you colored her perfectly!! The papers are beautiful, the flowers...every single thing!! You are so creative :) Do not even get me started on the oreo cupcakes!! I have never tried them, but this could possibly be my favorite treat ever!! I want one so bad!! I would love to have a giant vat of the frosting alone...I'd dive in and be in Heaven :) I hope you are having a wonderful weekend my sweet friend and thank you so much for linking up your gorgeous card at both Getting Cricky and FCCB!!

    Hugs, Lisa
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely card, I love your 'sweet' take on valentines! Those cupcakes look delicious too! Looking forward to working with you at WD, and new follower! :)
    Hugs,
    Heather P
    www.heather-p.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is so sweet - and your colouring is amazing!
    Those cupcakes look delicious - especially that cream topping. I LOVE cream!!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Fantabulous Cricut!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy Karen-Let me start over..lol! Your card is so sweet! You always come up with the such awesome designs and layouts. Your image is darling and all the extra's make this card just fabulous..WOW! Love it!

    Now for these cupcakes...where do I begin. In fact my mouth is watering. I actually jumped in right away in commenting and had to start over because my brain is focused on those yummy cupcakes. Thanks for the recipe..I will be making these for sure. My stomach has been a little off still so I have to wait to make these but I am dying to try these. TFS!
    Have a great night my friend!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen,
    Darling card!
    I am a new design team member for Whimsical Wednesday, looking forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I have missed "Sweet Saturday" But first I must say your card is indeed beautiful! What a sweet little image that is colored so perfectly! Just so much sweetness in this little card! Now speaking of sweetness....This recipe sounds heavenly....Oreo's and cupcakes, what could be better....that frosting, that's what!! Oh Karen I thank you for returning to the kitchen (my waistline may not feel the same)but I so truly appreciate you taking the time to create, bake, share and fill your blog with sweet lovely treats!
    My well wishes to you and your lovely family my sweet friend!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. *flutters in and leaves happy Valentine huggles everywhere*

    Happy Valentine's Day to our most precious Karen who delivers endless love to all our hearts every single day through her sparkling kindness. God bless you always my sweetest Sunshine...if only you knew just how much of a gift you are to all of us always...we are SO crazy blessed to get to share in this incredible adventure with you. *gets goosebumps thinking about all the hearts you have yet to touch and inspire too* WHEEEEEEE!!! Lucky peeps!!!

    *leaves a trail of chocolate hearts behind cause I can*

    I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE!!!

    *forever Valentines squishies*
    ~~~Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. MY sweet friend!!! How you been!!! I been so backed up on all my comments... but i'm trying to catch up soon. Love seeing your work Karen.

    Such a cute fairy! OHHH oreo cupcakes... I miss baking :0(

    Catarina

    ReplyDelete
  19. First I want to say Happy Valentine's Day my dear friend! I hope your day was a blessed and special as you are. This is the perfect holiday for you, full of love and sparkles, and beauty, and color, and beautiful smells!!

    Now, I love the card, you are so gifted as an artist! I can't color, but you sure can!!! Beautiful job, and background story too:)

    I am going to try these cupcakes too, just like everyone else, they sound so good!

    Hugs, my sweet friend, I hope you're feeling good, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love her little face!! That's what I look like when I have cookies around! :) I also can't wait to try those cupcakes, yummo!!! :)
    Amy
    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karen this is oh so pretty. I LOVE your cookie fairy and your colouring is fabulous and that includes the cookie jar!
    Sorry I am so late in visiting,school hols here in the UK.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh..my...Such a lovely card ♥♥♥
    Thanks for joining our challenge at WOC this time - hope to see you back at our next challenge!
    Hugs Anne Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Karen how sweet is this card. That cookie fairy is darling, and of course colored perfectly! OMG, those cupcakes look amazing. I am writing the recipe down now, and am going to bake those up with little Emily:) Thanks for such a sweet, fun post. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI sweetie this is very pretty, thank you so much for joining us at Wild Orchid Crafts this time, hugs pops x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips